Wednesday, April 28, 2010

THE NUMBERS GAME (Part 1)

Wow! In less than week I gave 73 people that I care about the chance to help kids and adults with arthritis by asking them to make any donation to my Let's Move Together Arthritis Walk Team "Tony in Orlando". I know, pretty-self-serving name, right?

Well here's a secret..NEVER FEEL BAD OR GUILTY ABOUT DOING SOMETHING SELF-SERVING IF IT WILL HELP THE ULTIMATE GOOD. I have a saying and you can quote me because it's been very powerful in my life. "Guilt is a useless emotion to me, unless I'm using it on someone else". Sounds pretty sinister huh? Truth is I was raised Catholic then Jehovah Witness so I tell people "I got the best of both guilt religions (said lovingly and jokingly)". My mom just looks at me and she has this incredible ability to just sigh and make me feel guilty. Being a hypersensitive person,GUILT played a starring role in the first three quarters of my life. It only has a cameo now and then since I turned 40 (The new 20).

Anyway, I digress. This blog is about "The Numbers Game".
I hope you will find it helpful with your own fund-raising duties if you are fund-raising now.

My Experiment:
Ask 100 people I love to make a donation to my team.

My goal: $1000 (based solely on my first Arthritis Walk in Lakeland more than 2 years ago!)

Experiment Status:
In just a couple days with only about 25 more people to ask, I am 59% to my goal!

Now I know what you are thinking...where am I going to find 100 people to ask??? Well remember it's all relative. If you have ten people, ask all of them and set a smaller goal! We're all different, and it's THE ASKING that is our important duty and the divine intervention comes into play after we do our job. Doesn't the bible say THE CREATOR tells us to plant the seeds, yet it's THE CREATOR that makes everything grow? Well plant as many seeds as you can and let GOD work on the ones that are possibilities. But it's you that's planting the seeds of LOVE in their heart!

Think of it that way and suddenly ASKING feels a lot like LOVING people!

Here's some types of people to think about:
Hairdressers, grocery store manager, school mates, teachers, friends, family, church (a big one), social clubs, Facebook (most friends list their e-mail addresses on there info page), exes (that's been a real profitable category for me, haha) and there are so many more!

Where do you spend all your money?? Ask there.
Parents of kids with arthritis, ask your doctors and pharmacists or hospitals and pharmacies. Just ASK!! And for those of you that are too afraid to ask, while I hate to say it, the ONLY way past that fear is to make yourself ask. I've been there. But believe me, when you feel or see someone responding it's a very deep touching feeling. And you will be so happy you conquered that fear. When you think about it this way; that you are NOT ASKING rather GIVING someone the opportunity to feel better about themselves, suddenly the NOS are less important! Sometimes it's the people you'd least expect to give that do! Sometimes it changes your perspective of them and you find that you see them and relate to them on a deeper level.

Wanna feel some encouragement? Let me tell you now about my beloved mother Carla Dyer and the MASSIVE numbers game she's amidst playing which may put things into perspective for you. Yes, my poor mother gets willingly dragged into being a volunteer at almost every charity I've worked for so far. But can I tell you, I think I'm literally more proud of my MOMSTER these last couple years than just about any other volunteer I've worked with to date! We've grown and learned together and it's a VERY COOL thing!

My mom is the Team Captain for "The Publix Painkillers." She recently mailed a letter our to 300 store managers asking for a donation to her team. There's still some time left, but she hasn't got one response yet. In her store, she asked 39 people for a donation and got $1 dollar! The other day we were on a walk together talking about it and after she shared that, sadly I related! I said that one YES and 39 NOS isn't a unrealistic thing right now. That's almost par for the course. Especially for the Arthritis Foundation because NO ONE who isn't touched directly doesnt realize how serious it is, or that kids get it, or that KIDS DIE FROM IT!

Anyway, my mom is trying hard not to be dicouraged and she keeps talking about "waiting for the popcorn to pop". And I know just what she means because recently two days after my e-mails, my popcorn started popping and I'm 59% to my goal of $1,000. Frankly, I am really surprised. Let's see if I make it! As for mom, she's already reached her goal. Her goal was to ask every Publix store manager in Central Florida to give to her walk team. The donations if she gets them will be a bonus. Remember, THE POWER IS IN THE ASKING! I'm proud of you mom. And I can't wait to get the call when her popcorn starts to pop! :) Believe me, you can't do something of that magnitude and not get some popcorn eventually. the Publix Team will eventually take off. She's about to take it STATEWIDE with our new FLORIDA STATE VIRTUAL ARTHRITIS WALK (A new venture we're hoping will allow people to participate in areas we have no walks. Sadly there are so many areas in Florida we can't afford to staff!).

Anyway, I will keep you posted in THE NUMBERS GAME PART TWO as to whether or not I reach my goal, but I TRULY HOPE that keeping you posted helps you feel encouraged in some way. If not, I'm wasting my time blogging cause I have so much work to do this week. Our Arthritis Walk is on Saturday! Send some LOVE this way and we will use every drop! I'm really looking forward to meeting some of the newer attendees that I've befriended through our Facebook Page "Arthur Itis". I feel like I've known some of them for years and we just met online.

Peace Love and Music
Tony In Orlando


Applicable Quote:“He who is afraid of asking is ashamed of learning.”
Danish Proverb quotes


Applicable Song: The Numbers Game-Theivery Corporation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xAJVri2a1U

1 comment:

  1. Another great blog Tony! Consider your goal of encouraging and inspiring met! You always do that for me! I completely understand and relate to all the guilt feelings...and even though I've reached 40 (the new 20) I haven't overcome them YET! I'm looking forward to meeting you on Saturday...thanks to Arthur, I too feel like I already know you. :)

    April 29, 2010 3:29 AM

    ReplyDelete